Tips for Your Session - Mamarazzi Photography - San Antonio Maternity, Birth, and Newborn Photographer
- Session Prep - Tips for skin and makeup
You found a photographer that suits your style, your session is booked, and you are all set... now what??? I get asked about session prep all. the. time. and I get it, it's not like you have professional portraits done every day (well, at least most of you!), and you want to look your best. Here are some tips to help you feel confident in front of the camera!
1) Sparkles/shimmer in your makeup is not a great idea unless it's in your eye shadow only, OR unless we are doing a themed session and that is the look we are going for (and with most themed sessions we would have a professional makeup artist doing that for us) - while it's a great look in person, in still images it ends up looking like random bright white specks on your face, or super-shiny skin. A little subtle gleam isn't too bad, but in general, a matte finish foundation and blush is going to look more natural, and more flattering.
2) I try to have tissues on hand, but sometimes we run out. It's always a good idea to have some oil blotting sheets, or just regular Kleenex with you to dab if you tend to get a little shiny (or if we are going to be outdoors and it's hot/humid).
3) Make sure your foundation is as close to your natural skin tone as possible - make sure to do a trial run, and have a trusted (brutally honest) friend or family member look at it in good natural light and tell you if it blends well with your skin tone.
4) Waterproof/smudge proof eyeliner and mascara
5) Bring your lipstick/gloss in case you need to refresh your color
6) Avoid tanning/tanning beds/self-tanners right before your session. Artificial tanners tend to photograph orange, and often leave small streaks here and there. Tanning in the sun or a tanning bed can lead to tan lines or a burn, and red or peeling skin isn't usually the look we are going for. :)
7) A portrait session is a great excuse to get pampered! A knowledgeable makeup artist is invaluable. You can find several fantastic options right here on my website under information - just check out the resources page!
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
I am an artist at heart and have been ever since I can remember. I have been blessed with four beautiful children and an amazing husband. One of my favorite things to do is help others capture beautiful memories that will last a lifetime.